Monday, June 13, 2011

How many hours a grad student should work in a day?

Salam,

Personally, I don't think a grad student should sleep and eat and live in his/her lab or graduate lab. Shouldn't we allocate at least couple of hours (per day or per week?) for ourselves, as pursuing a PhD life can be challenging enough to maintain our sanity. I wonder how many hours per day my colleagues spend on research or studying related works. Well, those do not include FB-ing or blogging (started to feel guilty myself, as I spent some times (usually less than an hour) reading gossips and ridiculous political shenanigans from home country, but again, I need to keep my wisdom, I have a husband to be entertained at home. I am not into blog hopping, tweeter or FB that much, but unfortunately I am addicted to TV series – Glee, Good Housewife, The Simpsons).

The most hours I can work is 10 (plus an hour of lunch, prays, blogging etc) and the least is none at all (Well, this only happens on Sunday, bear in mind, I have a husband (Kelab Isteri Taat says I to have to keep entertain him). I only have two schedules, which are,

1. Go to campus around 10 am, work until 2 pm, go home for cooking, lunch, pray etc. Go back to campus right after the lunch break and continue to work from 3pm to 8 pm.

2. Everything is the same as the previous, but with an exception, which is after the lunch hour. Instead of going back to school, I take a nap sleep until I hardly sleep anymore (this can take up to 2-3 hours). Work some more during nights, but with Imran watches TV, I can concentrate for only an hour or two (the TV is next to my study table!). Fortunately, this one happens less, less frequently than the previous one.

When I started the program about 3 years ago, my motivation was to the fullest that I could stay at campus and studied for 12 hours. I could study without any distraction for straight 6 hours (no food or break). Plus, I shared my apartment during that time that it wasn’t a great, comfortable place to study. When Imran joined me a year later, the studying hours perhaps reduced at least to half. It took me a semester to recover, considering that I took 12-13 credit hours for two semesters (average is 9) and my brain was totally desperate for a break. Sometimes I wonder, where did I gain the motivation to study like a freak during that time, because now, there is urgency for me to be in that non-sanity state again. I feel that I should work more and more and more, but how many hours I should really spend?

2 comments:

  1. it depends..
    ada org study mcm nak mati (she claimed la kan?)tapi dalam senyap2, she goes shopping during day time and end up stay up buat kerja mcm org gila..
    ada org buat keje from 9am-6pm, of course with an hour lunch break and everything is done by 6pm.
    yg pentingnye focus. that's all we need, focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kak Mimah:

    Dalam 10 hours tu dah focus habis, tak main2, tapi rasa tak cukup? Kena bermati-matian ke sampai tak cukup tido baru rasa cukup? Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete