Thursday, March 31, 2011

What motivates you?

Salam,

Few minutes ago, I received a call from my lil sister in Arizona. That motivates me to write this entry. At a very young age, this girl never fails to inspire me in such a beautiful away. She motivated me to reevaluate the direction of my life by telling me about her volunteering project. She showed me strengths that I could only see in my mother: she lost the person who inspired her most, at age of 19. She informed me that she will put aside her dream to volunteer in Africa temporarily to ensure that she can make her mother happy. She asked me how to define excellency in life, while I am struggling to graduate.

I wonder, in this life, what can we use as a yardstick to measure excellency? Money? Title? What motivates us? Family? Past, struggling life? The former is so true for me, especially having to see my mother struggled after her marriage separation. When I got the job offer with the O&G Company three days before my flight to US, I almost made my mind. Nonetheless, to see her tears just broke me apart. I made her cried once before, and I never forgive myself for that. I convinced myself that I will never lose if I try to make my mother happy. I believe that Allah S.W.T some other day will compensate the dream that I sacrificed for her. I am not ashamed at all to mention that I have a very mediocre meaning of distinction (in comparison to other's). For myself, it is not about title, not even about big remuneration and X5, but it is what I have contributed to other people. And I owe that to a person named Husna Diyana Hafit.

For other people, the motivation may come easily. However, for people who learned it in a hard way, they are indeed very fortunate. Why? Because I have seen they evolve and grew stronger from that. For my lil sister, my sincere apology, I don’t have a reputable answer to your question. Nevertheless, knowing you well enough to call you my sister, you bet, I know you’ll achieve the excellency that you asked me about.

No comments:

Post a Comment