Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When your research haunts your sleep

Salam,

Last Friday, I had a brief discussion with my advisor on my proposed 3D model. He basically approved the idea, with a condition that I run tests to verify the independency of parameters at each axis. However, I only have 12 data points to test,  and of course, the pertinence of the results can be dubious. Suddenly, I doubted that I could swallow the whole vacillation. Well, it is a preliminary test, hence, regardless the number of data points, I should be able to run the test. BUT (a very intense BUT here) I have to admit that I don't have a strong stomach to run the test, despite that the data, slopes and all values required to run the test are ready. I am very optimist that I will be frantic if the test produces a result against my hypothesis. Well, one may say that is research, but to come out with a genuine idea in research is not a day or a month process. It took me a whole two year to understand the fundamentals of agricultural modeling. So, I decided to postpone the test until later, BUT, by delaying the tests simply means my nights were interrupted!! In my dream,  I heard voices echoed, " test those slopes, test those slopes".  While that dream was a horror one, it didn't occur once. Sometimes I dreamed of SAS codes, not to mention Excel spreadsheet. It never occur to my mind, until recently, that research thing could haunt my life. What kind of trap that I have put myself into?

p.s : sometimes when I became frustrated with myself, it suddenly hit me, why didn't I take the job with the OnG company?

4 comments:

  1. ada hikmahnye makcik oi.. kalau tak pilih jalan ni, manalah kau tahu yg dkt Lubbock tu susah nak carik benda halal, hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kak Mimah,

    Lubbock dah maju setapak skrg, dah ada ayam/daging halal ok hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saya pembaca baru blog ni..sejak kajian PhD saya mengganggu tidur dan rasa macam tak tidur dibuatnya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Min Aina Ila Aina (tak tahu nk panggil siapa, ada singgah blog anda, tp masih tak sempat nk baca thoroughly.

    So, welcome to the 'Sleepless-nite-PhD-student club' hehehe

    ReplyDelete